With new restrictions having come into effect from midnight 21st October, Ireland has been thrust back into an all-too familiar situation like what we had in April (except it’s darker, colder, and rainier). No doubt the most recent Government move to Level 5 of the Plan for Living with Covid-19 has caused a lot of distress to many people and their families.
In response to the Government’s recent announcement, IPAV (Institute of Professional Auctioneers and Valuers) together with the Property Services Regulatory Authority (PSRA) and SCSI (Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland) and staff, have outlined some guidance to implementing a Plan for Living with Covid-19 for Level 5.
So if you’re wondering what the current Level 5 restrictions mean and whether you can still attend viewings, have your home valued or whether home maintenance can still be carried out, make sure to familiarize yourself with the answers below.
Stay safe everyone!
- Are estate agent offices still open?
No. Offices are closed to the public and agents and staff will be working remotely. We will only be in the office where it is necessary to enable the provision of certain services (for example collecting house keys).
You can still reach us on our regular office phone number (012845677) and our email (email@example.com), and of course our social media (Facebook and Instagram).
- Can an agent still come to my property?
Agents at commencement of engagement by their client, may view the property to be placed on the market for sale and arrange for BER certification and any other requirement on engagement.
- What about other professionals (such as valuers, surveyors etc.)
Engagement of the services of valuers, surveyors, and other required professionals to progress the sale is permitted in the following circumstances:
1) Properties are sale agreed.
2) Contract for sale signed subject to conditions.
3) Valuations required by banks or solicitors pertaining to essential services.
4) Emergency circumstances
Properties must be unoccupied at the time of appointment. Professionals to follow sectoral, HSE and Government Guidelines.
- Can I attend a viewing for a property for sale?
Public viewings are permitted of vacant, new, and second-hand properties by appointment only where:
- Confirmation provided of (a) proof of funds and (b) property previously viewed online.
- Time restricted appointments with sufficient time allowed between appointments to avoid any potential cross over of viewers.
- Viewings by one party of two people from the same household is only permitted.
- What about Auctions?
No organised indoor or outdoor gatherings should take place. Online auctions only.
- Can I attend a viewing for a property for rent?
Properties should be viewed online. No viewings in person permitted except
- Where the potential tenant has been offered the property. Viewing of the property takes place prior to signing of the lease and payment of a security deposit.
- In emergency circumstances.
In these circumstances, viewings by one party of two people from the same household is only permitted.
- What about property management services such as repairs and maintenance?
In terms of property management services, supply, repair, installation and maintenance of machinery and equipment for essential services to private residences (including electrical, gas, plumbing, glazing, and roofing services) will be running normally.
Services relating to electricity, gas, water, sewage, and waste management will also be business as usual.
Any other services that are necessary to support any other essential service such as cleaning of buildings and industrial cleaning activities will still be fully operational.
All this information has been gathered from the official Plan for Living with Covid-19 by the IPAV, PSRA and SCSI, updated 21st October 2020.
If you’re still unsure about anything or have any questions relating to your property, do not hesitate to give us a call. We understand everything is up in the air at the moment and a lot of things are uncertain, so we will do our best to help you in any way we can.
The Haines team is currently working from home for the next few weeks, but we’re more reachable than ever. Email Barry, Haines Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can find him on his mobile at 087 2722222 (that’s five 2’s). Haines Associate Director, Ruby, is available at email@example.com. And of course our office number is 012845677 or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.